Howard's story

Reading Howard's story with empathy and sympathy, a few thoughts occured
to me.  First, let me say, I know how awful Howard felt....after 5000+
miles, I've made every mistake in the book and probably a few that never
made it...so I'm not tossing stones.  Howard! learn from this.  Do not
fall back into the trap of deciding more 25 mi races will do the trick &
teach you anything.  All it will do is reinforce what got you in trouble
(kind of).  It will just teach you and the horse to only train for that
& you horse & you will mentally go no further.  Resolve to "remount" and
head for as many 50's as you possibly and heathfully can.  Make a goal
and a deal with yourself to ride the next 50 at say, 6 or 7 miles an
hour.  If you go faster than that... give yourself to the penalty box
(no beer).  Then the next ride shoot for an avg of 7 or 8 miles an hour
overall.  You get the point.  Sure it's time to refleck and regroup and
be better.  Give up racing with Angie until you are as ready as she is.
Come on Howard, show me your grit!