Re: RC: Re: Re: Dance Line

I'm afraid that you've lost me Diane.  I doubt very much that anyone makes
the DECISION to override their horse.  What someone does do, is make the
decision to stay with a certain person on a loop or two that perhaps is
going a bit faster than your horse is conditioned for, or decides to pass
up a couple drinking opportunities in the interest of saving time, etc.
People don't generally choose to push their horses too hard (directly)  --
it's just that their priorities are elsewhere at that time.  I wasn't even
coming close to condemning Howard -- in fact, I wasn't really talking about
him.  I find it commendable that he chose to tell his story and learn from
his mistake.  However, if you think that he was "riding his own ride", then
I don't think you know the meaning of it,  as I have always thought it to
mean that you are riding at a rate that is within your horse's capabilities
(taking in all things, like amount of conditioning, number of rides
finished, how far they were trailered, how much they ate the night before,
etc. etc.).  And it DEFINITELY means ALWAYS selecting the speed at which
you are traveling.  If your priority is to stay with a certain rider, you
aren't riding your own ride, you're riding theirs.