Re: RC: RE: Re: Horseshoes???

In a message dated 03/19/2000 6:29:00 PM Pacific Standard Time,
eyler@mindspring.com writes:

<< A FORMER farrier of mine was sooo patronizing when I tried to ask his
 opinion of something I'd read.  "Oh, geez.  She's been reading.  We're in
 trouble now."  Like I said, former farrier.

I don't think I have ever had experiences with a group of workmen who are
more opinioinated and difficult to work with than farriers.  I KNOW there
must be good ones out there. My experience have been that they start out
being understanding, do good work, and are communicative, and then they
backslide on quality of work after a few shoeings, become uncommunicative,
and simply will not listen to the horse owner. Their attitude is often, "Look
lady, who knows more about shoeing a horse, me or you?"  I admit, I can't
shoe a horse, but I've been watching farriers for 55 years and the first one
I had was an older gentleman who was a master at his craft.  I learned a lot
from him, just by watching.  Some of the subsequent ones have been good, some
OK, some..disasters. Some could handle an uncooperative horse, some would
rough them up or fight with them.  Some were horsemen, some just horseshoers.
Some of them would stand you up...simply just not show up on the appointed
day.  Some moved away.  All my problems are now solved...our eldest daughter
shoes ours. She is SOOOO good!  She learned as a student at CAL POLY, San
Luis Obispo, CA, apprenticed with an excellent shoer in that area, and
started out just shoeing her own. Gradually, as our previous farrier was
declining in quality of work, reliablility and availability, she began
shoeing ours, then her sisters' horses, then a few neighbors' horses.  She's
a full-time mother and a part-time farrier.  She does one to two horses max
on any given day, but she rotates around until all horses are done on
schedule. And she charges a little less than most farriers currently charge.
The main thing is she is simply the most consistently good farrier we have
ever had. She is always learning, she is always willing to discuss a problem
with the horse owner, and doesn't have a big ego to maintain.  Lucky us!
Again, I KNOW there are good farriers out there, but we've never been able to
find them, or if they are found, they are unwilling to come this far away
from wherever the live.

Barbara