Cruppers & Vet Checks

Annette Jacobs wildpony@san.rr.com
Hello-
I guess if I keep posting I'll wont be able to keep my Lurker
status.
I have never used a crupper on a riding horse, but I did alot of
combined driving years ago.  (combinded driving is fashioned
after combined training & includes dressage, cross country, &
obstacles).  Every time we put put the crupper on, we smeared it
with vasoline.  Also, we checked to be sure no little stray hairs
ended up caught under the crupper.  Tail hairs can cut the tail.
Do you guys use vasoline or any other lubricant?

Another question - I did my first LD ride about 20 years ago.
Back then, we used to pinch off the horses nostrils, blocking
his breath for a few moments, then let go - with the intention
that he would then draw a deep recovery breath - then calm the
remaining breathing. I read the article in EN (pg 30) on Vets as part of the team.  It talks about holding the horses nostril
at a vet check to change respiraton rates.  We (I) never did it
at a vet check,never to disguise.  The article just reminded me
of the practice from ages ago.  Does anyone still do this??
(not at a Vet check, but as a recovery exercise).
Now I'm off to ride...
Annette  (75 LD miles in 20 years)