Re: RC: Re: progesterone implants for mares

In a message dated 3/10/00 3:37:03 PM Pacific Standard Time, TddWil@aol.com
writes:

<< I don't know a whole lot about spaying but I think this is the best option
 for my friend's mare, so I need to look into it. I think they remove the
 ovaries thru a vaginal incision. Could one of the Vets on Ridecamp please
 enlighten us?  >>

Yes, spaying is an option, and in most cases, the procedure can be done
vaginally.  Be sure to have it done by a vet who is familiar with the
procedure, though.  Be aware that while many mares will become gelding-like
following spaying, SOME mares will exhibit almost perpetual heat behavior
after being spayed.

As to implants--I've not seen much success with them.  In my experience,
Regumate works better.

Heidi