Hay cubes

	Ok, I'll add my two cents worth to the discussion. As noted previously,
straight alfalfa cubes are high in calcium and protein, which potentially
can be problematic for endurance horses, as described by Duncan and others.
However, as also noted, many horses can and do compete successfully on
straight alfalfa rations. It really appears to be an individual difference
as to whether a horse can handle the excess calcium and protein. The cubes
do soak up into a lovely mush inonly 10 minutes or less-I also worry about
fermentation if left to soak too long. If fed as the sole source of
roughage you will get a dramatic increase in wood chewing (the probable
cause of the worn down front teeth someone reported).
	I personnally prefer either a timothy alfalfa mix or whole corn
plant-alfalfa mix cube-the calcium and protein contents are more
reasonable. I feed 1-2 lbs of cubes per feeding regularly, increasing the
amount if the quality of hay available is poor. They always have free
choice hay...I always soak them-more to have Fling used to the soaked feed
so she'll be more likely to accept it at rides than anything else. In the
research we did with the cubes as the sole source of roughage we did have
two horses (out of a total of 30) who choked when fed the cubes dry.

	As to quality, if you go with a respected company like Montana Pride,
Purina, Nutrena, Southern States, Buckeye, etc you shouldn't have to worry
too much-hey, they don't want lawsuits either! But accidents can happen to
any company, just less likely with a high level of vigilance. As for the
sheep additive mentioned (probably Rumensin), it shouldn't be a problem
with the cubes because they use different equipment to make cubes than they
do for pelleted feeds. I would never buy pelleted or textured feed for
horses from a plant that uses the same equipment to mix sheep, cattle or
poultry feeds-too much danger of accidental inclusion of rumensin or
monesin, both growth promotants for the food animals, lethal to horses.

Sarah and Fling (Who loves her cubes)