Re: Hay cubes

At 06:26 PM 3/6/00 -0700, Drin & Jim Becker wrote:
>Alfalfa hay cubes. You put them in water overnight and they swell up just
>like beet pulp. The horses love them, dry or wet. No loss to wasteage, far
>more nutrition for the buck, a way to combat dehydration--what's wrong with

if you use HOT water they only have to soak for about 10 minutes, the
horses love them warm in the winter. i would be wary about soaking over
night due to possible build up of bacteria.

down side, besides possible entroliths, as it has been mentioned here and
by our vet, is that any quality hay can be used, even moldy.

i did get some cubes a while back that were 50% alfalfa and 50% timothy.

we don't normally feed cubes as i have seen a lot of horses in boarding
barns with front teeth worn down from gnawing on them for years.

karen clanin

Karen Clanin
kclanin@fix.net
http:www.bigfoot.com/~kclanin

http://www.geocities.com/darlingbud_99/winner.html
Thanks for voting for Annie in February -- she WON the photo contest!