Re: RC: Re: Rabies Kills Horse In N.C.

Hi Heidi
I was not directing my message solely to you Heidi, I just hit the reply
button when I saw the post about opossums.
I realize that I am defending a not-so-popular cause, as opossums have
gotten a bad rap in life anyway (it's the TAIL!). My vet said that they
do not carry it because of their prehistoric origin. Also RE: EPM, the
disease's parasitic cycle includes birds along with opossums, the two
have to work together. I never hear of anyone threatening to take out
the whole bird population.
I guess it bothers me because through the little baby I saved, and you
know all babies are cute (remember Jurassic Park-- yeah even baby
dinosaurs) I got to know the opossum. They are incredibly sweet animals
(they only look ferocious to protect themselves, they are normally very
timid) and they have a calmness and gentleness about them. Perhaps it is
because they are such old souls. I'm so glad Posse is an ambassador to
the school districts in the Bakersfield area so that children can learn
about these creatures who actually are one of the few (other than
buzzards and don't get me started on that) who can dispose of carnage
and prevent widespread disease in the process. They are actually
probably one of man's best allies in the life chain.
So much for my soapbox. I just truly loved my little Posse and it hurts
me to hear of widespread "genocide" of any of God's creatures (although
I have helped more than my share of flies on to their next incarnation--
it was their choice; they could have left me alone). We all have a
purpose. Look at Tom; here's here on ridecamp to stir us up and make us
think about our positions (no, I'm not comparing you to an opossum,
Tom).
Life is full of little lessons. Oh, and I will check to see if they can
carry the disease. If my vet is correct then it is at least one thing in
their favor.
Great info about rabies, though, Heidi. I had never thought I really
needed to vaccinate my horses for it although I did one year as part of
a pilot project. We have dogs and I figured they kept the wildlife at
bay. I'm going to have them done now. Thanks!

--
Bette Lamore
Whispering Oaks Arabians, Home of TLA Halynov