Re: RC: Re: ridecamp-d Digest V00 #26

I raise my horses in a herd situation as well, and I am glad for it. I
have even had some older stallions out with a herd and after the initial
excitement wears off, they become one of the gang.
Something else that happens too- my husband accidentally let out one of
our stallions with the mares and then another got out with him- although
they fought a bit, they did absolutely no injury to each other... I think
it is because they at least knew each other. They weren't kind to each
other, but nothing worse than some missing hair either. Not true of all
stallions. I have a bachelor band here that was raised together and they
get along VERY well with each other.
All the babies go out with the whole herd once they are big enough to
handle it, And until then they get 24 hour turn out after about a week's
worth of getting strong enough to be out there (and to where I feel
comfortable that they know who mom is). I have seen more than one foal
follow the wrong bay  mare :) when they go out in the herd for the first
time, so I try to just get them out wiht only one or two other horses at
first. I am lucky that I really don't have any bad actors or meanies in
my mare herd- even the new Davenport mares fit right in. So far they have
done extremely well getting broke to ride as well- not so mucha s a buck
from any of them so far...
Gwen

On Wed, 5 Jan 2000 15:34:09 EST CMKSAGEHIL@aol.com writes:
> In a message dated 1/5/00 12:10:25 PM Pacific Standard Time,
> MBlanchrd@AOL.com writes:
>
>   I'd like to hear some pros and cons on this,  as I am aware that
> the>   opportunity to bring up horses this way is disappearing.   What

> are any of>   you doing to compensate?
>    >>

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.