Re: Fwd: RC: Mountain bikers

The handwriting is one the wall, so to speak.... WE ARE GOING TO HAVE TO
SHARE THE WORLD WITH THINGS THAT MOVE BESIDES HORSES if we are going to have
trails!!!   I used to worry when ever I saw 'bikes' of any kind on the
trails.... BUT you really can condition your horse to not 'kill' anyone when
approached by those things. Even though I live out of the city and have 17
acres, I still ride alone the roadsides so I have a verifiable number of
miles.  There is a large forest right across from my farm but the "HUNTERS"
won't let us ride there '''scares the deer away(like right) and the horse
hooves make ruts in the dirt 'road's left from the loggers... like right!!!
So the reality is that we have to share and cooperate with the other
activities or we could end up with NO PLACE to ride.   Personally, my
current horses do not go balistic but I tried to expose them to any and all
kinds of 'things'.  Also I have chickens that run loose and I think that
also helps to despook somewhat.  Have some kids come to your area and set
things up for seeing bikes...etc.. I put the horse I am working with in my
front yard to condition about 18 wheelers.. another hazard for me.  Four
wheelers and motor bikes go down the road too..  A few yrs ago I visited
with some riders from Houston and asked where they conditioned for
hills..... would you believe along the freeways ramps..   If we are to
survive in a world becoming more and more mechanical and crowded, then we
must train our horses to cope with it and if a horse is not trainable then
don't breed more like it.  It is just a reality of our world now.  Last
summer my horse stopped at a canter.... because there were cows in the
pasture where there had not been cows the day before... so we can't place
blame on bikes.. they spook at cows and other horses and dogs and ...
etc..Set up your training to include those things.. and as one cowboy told
me... 'lots of wet blankets'... (btw I got to run home 2 miles when she
spooked at the cow!!) - no wonder my sciatica got worse!! Mary Ann