Re: RC: Easyboot alarm

In a message dated 01/03/2000 9:33:05 AM Pacific Standard Time,
stepnout@swva.net writes:

<< Okay, inventors...why can't someone devise a beeper that tells when the
 Easyboot separates from the hoof?  >>

I go to a pet store, purchase enough small dog collars (14" comes to mind,
but it's best to measure the distance around your horses pastern and then
allow a few inches) to fit one on each Easyboot.  I usually buy bright
colors, but with this system it isn't really necessary except to find them in
your tack room.  I purchase keeper straps from EasyCare and afix them to the
corrugated heel straps on the boot.  You can also use a soft flat shoe lace,
cut to size, fitted around the heel strap with a half-hitchand knotted at the
end to form a loop for the dog collar.  Then feed the dog collar through the
keeper strap, buckle it loosely around the horse's pastern after afixing the
Easyboot.  I've never had a strap rub the horse's pastern, though I suppose
it's possible.  Just make sure the dog collar is loose around the pastern,
but not loose enough to come off over the hoof.  If the Easyboot comes off
the hoof, the boot flops around, but you don't leave it on the trail.  You'll
know right away if it has come off.  Some horses might object to the boot
flopping around their foot, but I can't recall ever having a problem with
this and our horses aren't exactly spook-free.  You might even put one on the
ankle only and lead or lunge the horse around for awhile to test his
reaction.  I had the fun of explaining the dog collars to some personnel on a
ride I did once.  They decided it made good sense.  We've done this for
YEARS.  Actually, Easyboots used to come with keeper and ankle straps many
years ago.  One style of ankle straps closed with Velcro but they were
useless, as the same force that took the Easyboot off could also unfasten the
Velcro.  Hope this helps.

Barbara

Barbara