An ENDURANCE question]

> How many have tried the shoe that's 1/2 of a steel shoe (the front half)
> and the rear half is a sort of an egg bar pad.  First, what's it called
> so I can quit describing it.  Then, what's it supposed to help... is it
> just a good protective step or what?  Who competes in egg bars and why?
> What about shock absorbing pads?  I was told Kaboot had a deep bruise,
> and I should consider some of this when I plan to campaign hard.  I'm
> money concious, but also know "a stitch in time saves nine" so why cut
> just the wrong corner.  Shoeing is about the only place I don't cut
> corners.
>
> Wanna talk endurance?
> Angie

Angie, I've used the thin, flexible pads when I knew the upcoming rides would
be rocky. They were green. Okay, so I don't remember the brand name, but they
really worked well. Used a medicated hoof packing that kills bacteria. I've
used aluminum shoes & they lasted fairly well. I have easyboots with studs. On
my other horse for a different purpose, I've even used titanium shoes,
$$$$$$$$$$ !!!  I won't skimp on shoeing either!
-Diann

Hi Angie and others,

as Frank said those shoes are used by some endurance riders here in
Germany. One of their advantages is that they are giving a good
protection of the sole without extra padding needed. Frank describes
well their ability of "cleaning themselves". Another advantage - and
that's why I actually use them an my pony - is that the horse can't kick
them of like a normal metal shoe. My pony could kick nearly every shoe
so he never was four-wheeled when the farrier came. But know he had his
flip-flops for 10 weeks with no problems. He needed some days to get
used to them - he seems to stumble when kicking in the plastic.
Yes, as Tina asked about the traction on (wet) grass: there is nearly no
traction... That's maybe one reason why Stefan Zoeller "only" was second
in the 1996 German Championship. The finish was on grass, it was raining
all day and his horse Cloud Question Mark couldn't get that extra
traction needed for winning - he finished with a distance of about 4"
behind the winner ...
As for those of you interested in the Marathon-horseshoe: After having
my horse out on pasture for two months without being shoed, we are using
the Marathon for eight weeks now. We have to replace those on the hind
after six weeks and now those at the front are nearly worn off. But
that's way ahead of the two weeks they lasted earlier. And they are
causing the hooves to get wider, about 1/4 inch within six weeks. That
will solve some of our problems we have with hoof-walls, frogs etc.

Happy New Year,

Wolfgang + Ninja (Marathon-runner) + Teddy (flip-flop-pony)
Germany

Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-