walk on by

Regarding the thread on how to handle trail spooks, I agree wholeheartedly with Kat. I have a new mare, my first full Arabian, who is really very sensible for a 6 yr. old, but when something does get her attention, I have discovered that stopping and looking just convinces her that there is something to be concerned about, and the response I get from here is 'let's get out of here, mom!' If I just keep her moving, she seems to settle down almost immediately. I like to make sure she sees things that may startle her, but then I tell her 'none of your business,' and she keeps on trucking. This didn't seem to make sense to me at first, because colder-blooded horses I've had before responded very well to the 'stop and check it out' philosophy, but it doesn't seem to work well with a horse that has a lot of 'go.' I also find it truly annoying to have to stop for every mailbox, cow, broken-down car, or guy with a chainsaw. In my neck of the woods, that's a lot of stops!

Cheers to everyone!

Chelle and 'Dy'
Tunbridge, Vermont