Liberty Run-GA/ Cooling System

Just got home from Liberty Run ride in Augusta GA. What a great ride! It sure
was hot, but very few pulls considering. Marilyn Horstmyer won the 100 with
Cindy Bell taking second.
I came up from FLA planning to ride a first fifty for my young horse, but
dropped to a twenty-five due to the heat and the fact I came down with a chest
cold.....
The trail is very beautiful, and just enough of a challenge to let you know
you've done something! Management was great, and the trail was well marked.
There are lots of lakes on this ride with beautiful views. It's on a Military
base at Ft. Gordon, and they are "controlled" and stocked with fish.
I wanted to pass along a popular "gadget" I purchased in preparation to do a
fifty in extreme heat that turned out to be a real lifesaver. For those of you
that compete in the summer on hot rides you may be interested in this.
It is a pressurized misting bottle that only weighs two pounds and can be worn
as a fanny pack or attached to your saddle with the pouch and nylon strap that
comes with it. The best thing about it is that it cools up to 30 percent
better than straight water poured on, and can be used either on rider or
horse! I was trotting down the trail just spraying this real fine mist on me
and the horse. He is a heavy horse and his heart rate actually dropped much
faster at the check than he normally would have. I loaned it to one of the 100
milers after I came in, and she said it was a true lifesaver. She rides a
black horse and was using it for the mare as much as herself.
I found mine at Target for about $19, but here is their number if you don't
have a Target store. Misty Mate (800) 233-6478 or (602) 967-6446.
I found mine to be very durable as it is in a nylon pouch and the rubber
tubing has plenty of length with a clip on it so you can clip to saddle,
yourself etc. It withstood a one day 100 in good shape, and when you are hot
in the middle of a ride they'd be worth twice their price!!
Becky & Moyle Miles