Re: High Mileage Horses

On Thu, 14 May 1998 08:25:27 -0700, DreamWeaver
<karen@chaton.gardnerville.nv.us> wrote:

>What did you do differently in regards to your regular maintenance regime
>with the horse?

Nothing.

>Did you do anything to help maintain weight? (on the horse, not the rider) <g>

Nothing other than the normal extra grain in the day following each
ride.

>Any supplements that you feel really make a difference?

Just a standard multi-vitamin.

>What is the best thing that you did that you think helped the horse achieve
>this many miles in one year?

Proper pacing (both during rides and scheduling rides).  Not blowing
the horse out on any one event.  That doesn't mean going slow --
Kahlil and I ran over 1,000 miles in several years that we were racing
for Championships (over 2,000 miles one calendar year).

>What is the biggest mistake that you made?

One year, trying to put some lost weight back on too quickly with
extra grain.  Led to tying up.

The first year that we competed for a N.C., we ran too many hard, FAST
50's too close together in the fall (8 Saturdays in a row), and that
caused some problems -- but nothing permanent.  By the 8th ride his
stride got short and choppy, and his attitude began to sour ... and it
set him up for a tendon injury the following spring.  Fortunately he
had a 100% recovery and I learned to not do that!

>I've been given lots of advice.  Some of it is:  most horses can't do that
>kind of mileage without encountering some problems by the end of the
>season.  OR: all those miles will cause the horse to get arthritis at an
>earlier age.

Kahlil is 24 years old now, 11,475 career miles (most of it racing for
1st-to-Finish), and hasn't had any such problems.  Kay still rides him
in 25 mile rides.

--

Joe Long
jlong@mti.net