Re:Survival skill

Hi Guys!
I am one of those people who strives to be prepared, and make due.  I have a
freind who always made fun of me for my huge stuffed saddle bags, until one
day she started her period on the trail, and guess who had the nescesary
supplies?
( I keep a tampon in the handle of my shovel )
This same freind, who I have been riding with for over twenty years is one of
those people who is NEVER prepared for anything, mentally or physically. She
always shows up in a tee-shirt when its cold. Forgets her raincoat when it
rains, never has sunscreen, never a first aid kit, or easy-boot or.......
She is also not a good person in a bad situation. She panics.  Her father once
told her to never get a serious disease, as when the doctors informed her, she
would just die on the spot, rather than cope.
So, heres the fun part,
She and I and another freind of mine ( Beth ) were doing a 25 mile ride up in
the mountians here. At any given time we are as much as 12 miles from the
trail head, and about that from home on horseback.  The trailhead is 11 miles
from my house by road, 4 by trail.
We had traveled about 11 miles, including a stop for breakfast, and I noticed
Beth sounded funny, She was slurring and we hadnt had any Baileys in the
morning coffee : )
I realized she was having, or had had a seizure, she is a mild epileptic. So I
called a stop, got her off and tried to figure out if the worst was over, or
what.
My poor friend was upset, she couldnt figure what to do.  I told her we were
going to put Beth back on her horse and head for camp, if things got worse,
we'd deal with it.  She wasnt too sure, but I piled Beth in the saddle, took
the lead knowing Beth's horse would follow Rayna's white butt to the pits of
hell, and started off down the trail. As we traveled Beth was totally out of
it. She stayed on the horse, but didnt even have enough sense to pick up the
reins. And her normally spastic horse stayed right behind me, without crowding
as usual and was perfect. My freind fretted and freaked all the way back.
Going on and on about how dangerous it is out here, how I should carry a cell-
phone, never ride alone etc.......
Eventually Beth came out of it and was amazed to find we were so close to
camp.  She didnt remember the seizure, or me dragging her out of the saddle
and putting her back in etc.
Everything came out fine.
Now I realize it doesnt always work out that way, and I have had WAY worse
things happen to me out and about.( My mother broke her neck riding with me
when I was 16 )  But I am a firm beleiver in being prepared, making due and
survival of the fittest. And I mean mentally, mostly.  Believe you can handle
any situation, and most of the time you can.
Safe trails!
Julie and Rayna
Beleiving we can conquer the world. And taking care of those who dont.