Re: weigh stations

Kat wrote.

> My preference would be for there to be a class of driving license between
> the class A required for "big rig" commercial trucking, and the class 3
> (what it is called here in California) license required for operating a
> car.  Something like and RV license which doesn't require a fortune to
> acquire (which a class A license does), but requires operators to
> demonstrate more driving proficiency that not making an illegal u-turn :).

   You dated yourself Kat, Calif had to follow fed guidelines and did away with all the
number classes. We now have letter classes, A, B, C
  And Class A licenses can be obtained by taking the written exam and then the driving
test in your horse trailer rig. (assuming the trailer has a ID plate showing a GVW over
10,000 lbs) You will get a restriction for no air brakes but you would have a class A
lic fairly cheaply.
  There is also Class A non commercial which I believe takes less written testing and
allows you to haul heavy RV trailers. I don't know if that would apply to heavy horse
trailers or not.

Jim