Re: apprenticeship

Blankenship, Ann wrote:
> I have long thought there should be some type of
> "apprentice-membership" in AER....I don't know, maybe
> you'd have to do 3 rides with a member and pass the written test or
> something.  Just an idea.....

When I used to race motorcycles in England, as a "novice", you
had to wear an orange bib (presumably to warn other riders "idiot
ahead, pass with care"). You had to complete at least one race at
eight meetings in order to get past this, and move up to "normalness"
and do-away with the bib.

The key thing there, was *complete* races at eight meetings.

If you entered eight and "crashed and burned" (if you'll pardon the
allusion) on each, you didn't get anywhere. Presumably, this would
mirror itself in endurance riding.

The orange bib could warn other riders to pass with care (presuming
that if you're new, your horse would be too - which isn't necessarily
the case - but at least it would give you a chance to sort yourself
out). It could also warn vets/management/other crews that you may be
wandering around in a daze and may need help...?

Even without all that, I can still see wearing an "INEXPERIENCED HORSE"
bib would be helpful, if you weren't quite sure how your horse was going
to react to the whole endurance thing.

Hmmm, perhaps I could get it painted on Mouse's butt in grease pen?
--
Lucy Chaplin Trumbull - elsie@calweb.com
Displaced English person in Sacramento, CA

http://www.calweb.com/~elsie
http://www.calweb.com/~trouble