Re: The great Molasses debate

In a message dated 98-01-28 01:35:08 EST, zebella@idt.net writes:

<< I cannot help but wonder if some of the fear of feeding molasses to
 endurance horses has to do with the misconception that feeding molasses
 is like giving a candy bar and reinforcing the overwillingness of an
 incredibly fit horse to go.  Actually, what may be thought of as an
 effect of molasses may simply be an effect of grain feeding (sugar and
 starch).  If you have heard other theories as to why molasses might be
 bad for an endurance horse, I would be interested in hearing them.

 Kathleen Crandell, PhD
 Equine Nutritionist
 Kentucky Equine Research

Very bright Nutritionist. Can't argue with anything she said. Note that
Kentucky Equine Research is in the "applied research" area--making things work
and coming up with solutions. That's where the most accurate practical
information will come from.

ti