RE: sanctioning LD rides, rules

 > A ride cannot offer Limited Distance Ride, call it a Limited Distance Ride
 >  with our AERC sanctioning. They can offer the same distance and call it a
 > pleasure ride and AERC cannot do any thing about it.

 So Bob, by the same logic, a ride manager could hold
2 concurrent 50 mile events? One an AERC sanctioned ride, the other
non-sanctioned 50 mile trail ride... and maybe offering prize money?
I think the fact that LD is defined as a ride between 25 and 35 miles
may preclude offering a non-sanctioned 25 mile race. But, certainly
the way the current rulebook  reads, a ride manager *could* offer
a concurrent 24 mile race, or 40 mile race - and do whatever they
want with it, vet checks or  not, prize money or not. Do you agree?
**Unless this 'standing rule' is truly binding.

 > There is no such thing as a "standing rule"!!!! If it is not in the AERC
 > Articles of Incorporation, the AERC By-laws, or the AERC Rules &
 > Regulations then it isn't a rule.  Now, we have many precedents set in the
 > past that are ignored. Arlene at one time collected all of these and
 > submitted them to the AERC. No one cared the least so they were ignored.

I believe there are such things as 'standing rules'. But, I don't
know how binding they are. basically don't know a darn thing about them. I've
asked Ramey to clarify. My first reaction was the same as yours. It's possible
that nobody cares and these things will be ignored ... but I'd sort of like to
know the story on this.

 > Any ride put on under the IAHA or FEI banner will not be held with out the
 > sanctioning of the AERC, This is paramount in the organization of these
 > organizations.  All AERC rules are in force and in particular read the
  > preface to the itemized rules.

The organizers of the Cosequin Challenge said they would do the ride
with or without AERC, but certainly preferred to keep it within AERC .
There are FEI rides in other countries that have nothing to do with AERC.
Why should they be bound to do so here in the states??

 > What is somewhat confusing is the inclusion of our Rule 14. In the case of
 > the CC ride there is ONLY ONE EVENT!!! It will be AERC sanctioned or there
 > w ill be no points or miles.  The IAHA has approved this ride for additional
 > IAHA credit as the IAHA National Championship ride for that organization.
 > The FEI has also further sanctioned this ride for INTERNATIONAL competition
 > thus allowing this ride to qualify riders, so cross entered, for
 > international recognition.  Still only one event, the riders have the
  > option of "purchasing" recognition beyond AERC.

Yes, this is the case with the CC, because they *wanted* it to be an AERC
sanctioned event. But they still had the option of holding the event without
AERC.

...my brain is tired :)

Steph