Stirrups too far forward on many English saddles

Ann - It's my understanding that some Whitman english and dressage saddles
have adjustable stirrup bars.
	It seems to me that such things as length of leg, length of parts of the
leg (thigh/calf) might be involved.  I also think, but can't prove, that,
since the heel should be in a line under the hip and shoulder, then the
stirrup should be set forward a distance equal to the distance from the
heel to the ball of the foot.  Unfortunately, I've never been able to
figure out an easy way to measure that distance on the saddle.
Cheers, Laney