Re: is this fair?

>i recently received a mailing for a ride where they were priced as
>follows:
>
>25 mile $55
>
>50 mile $75
>
>75 mile $100
>
>i was a little disconcerted because i felt the 25s weree being asked to
>pay more than their fair share. if you calculate it on a per-mile basis,
>the 25s are $2.20 a mile, whereas the 75s are only 1.30 a mile...almost
>double for the 25s..

This actually seems like a pretty fair charge to me.  It really does cost
as much to put a 25 out on the trail as it does a 50.  You still have to
pay for your basecamp, for your vets, your supplies, portapotties, horse
hay, food for the riders, food for the voluneers, awards.  Insurance costs
the same regardless of what distance the riders are going.  Postage and
mailings costs are the same, as are the fees you may have to pay to BLM per
rider (or another entity to use the land), and AERC.  Rides still need to
have equipment such as water troughs, stethoscopes, clipboards, clocks, a
water truck maybe...that costs the same regardless.  It costs the same to
make up the maps, ride packets and all of the other items that go along
with putting on a ride.  The only real difference is that maybe the LD's
don't have as many vet checks, but the vets usually charge a fee per day,
not by how many horses they have to vet.

I used to complain about the costs of entry fees too.  Then I helped put on
a ride, and boy was that an eye-opener!!  I won't ever complain again. ;^)

Happy Trails,

Karen
in Gardnerville
& Dream Weaver