Re: RE;Pony prices and training (long)

Surely older horses are a better bet than green horses, but not alwasy.
Star was 10 when I got him last year. I have ridden my older horse Cisco
for 12 years and in that time have fallen off of him only ONCE. I've fallen
off of Star more times than I can count in the short year we've been together.

I think part of it is familiarity. I knew Cisco's gaits and knew how he
felt under me. He is very powerful and strong (a Morgan), but slow and even
pokey sometimes. He also has along back, so his gait is kind of ambling.

Star has a short back, long legs and is very quick. I fall off because I
haven't caught up with him. He can stop on a dime and I'm still in
mid-post. I'm getting better though. We are together more now. My riding
coach said, "Cisco is the old comfortable Cadillac and Star is the sports
model Ferrari."

Now that I understand how quickly he moves, I am riding with him instead of
behind him and it makes all the difference. I just had to gear up myself!

The Aussie saddle helps! Yesterday he had a big jump because the dogs made
a bunch of noise in soem tin in a dump. they chased out a rabbit adn Star
leaped sideways. The poleys did their job, and I stayed on!

chris paus & star

At 09:05 AM 1/12/98 EST, Trishmare wrote:

><<  I'm keeping your posting for the know it
> alls who think I should keep my young horses.>>
>
>Tell them to go ride them!  The folks up here who told me I wasn't
approaching
>David's training aggressively enough all seem to be riding old, broke QHs!
 My