Price of Horses

I  don't agree that one has to pay a lot of money for a good horse.  I have
a set amount that I am willing to spend for the purchase of the " future
chance of success" with flexibility built into it.  Just because one pays a
high price does not mean that this new horse in going to be a good
endurance horse.  Big money does not guarantee that there will be no
lameness problems, suspensory problems, back problems, metabolic probllems
or the hundred other things that can go wrong with a horse.  And, something
that is important to me......... personality problems.

I have not paid big prices for my horses, perhaps because I am willing to
train them myself.  And,  I like the idea,  that from the beginning....they
are what I make them or don't make them.  Even if you do not have the
ability to train a horse, it is still a lot more reasonable to send the new
guy to a reliable trainer for 3-4 months if necessary.  Certainly won't add
up to the $5,000 - 10,000 horse.  And paying big money for a horse that has
never done endurance before doesn't mean that they are ready to go out and
win................still takes the same amount of time to build a good
endurance horse that will keep on going down the trail for you.

To me, looking around for "back yard" treasures that owners don't realize
their potential  sure can be a good deal.  I won't say that those that can
afford the higher price are foolish, just we all spend what we can afford.

Just my opinion.