wise buy!/demand=price?quality=price?

Sally Aungier
01/09/98 09:13 AM

The best horse I have ever owned is my 29, soon to be 30 year old, TB mare
who I bought as a yearling for $100.  She continues to be reasonably sound
and happy (when she gets to go out for a little ride now and then).  My
parents always laugh about how I've gotten my monies worth out of her. The
poor old girl must have a million miles on her as I used to ride 4-6 hours
a day during her prime.  During our years together we've done distance
work, driving, hunting, etc.

I also bought a TB mare for $400 that I trained and she has been successful
on the both the hunter and jumper circuit- she had no desire to be my next
trail horse though.  Her current owner has outgrown her and I think the
price tag is over $10,000.

I also had a well bred arab that was given to me by his owner when he lost
interest in riding.  I got him back and shape and sold him to my best
friend  who has been doing ECTRA CTR's with him ever since.    He is a
lovely horse but his walk killed my back - someone once described it as a
cross between a llama and a camel.

I have a friend who makes a point of going to the killer sales and buying
horses that she thinks that she can rehab.  I can't even begin to tell you
the number of lovely horses she has saved who have gone on to successful
careers.

I guess it's  just a matter of being able the judge the potential of any
horse, regardless of its breeding,  and having what it takes to train it.
Also, I think that I bond differently (better) with a horse that I've
trained rather than one that comes to me knowing it all.  There is a
different  level to our partnership that is more satisfying.

Sally