KIMBERLY PRICE (PLOUGH1@ix.netcom.com)
Thu, 5 Dec 1996 16:47:37 -0800

hi Diane,

I think I may be able to help you out on this...

John Lyon's technique for loading horses works extremely well. It is
documented in some of the Horse&Rider mags and Equis if you have any
old ones around. If no, I'll try to describe it here. Also, your
local tack store may have his trailer loading tape and I would advise
renting it for the night to watch. I had a very difficult loader (not
his fault, mine) and John's methods really worked.

1. Teach horse forward cue from the ground. This is standing beside
him on a halter and tapping his hip not too hard. As soon as he moves
forward period, reward is to stop tapping. Make a noise as a "kissing"
noise anytime you want movement, regardless of direction, so he learns
it means move.

2. Teach horse not to run you over. A little more complex but
necessary. First time he tries to step into you smack below the
hocks...all you need to do is hit him once for him to learn to respect
you. There is more to this but if you are loading him in 2
days...well...

3. Now approach the trailer. When he stops, ok, pet...this is the
point he is getting nervous. Let him sniff ground, etc. Put his lead
rope over his back. Then ask again for forward movement by using the
cue he now knows. As soon as he steps forward stop tapping.

4. Will get closer to the trailer. May stop, sniff, try to avoid.
Tap and give him the cue until he moves, then stop. HAVE TO REWARD HIM
by stopping the tap with forward movement. Backing up creates tapping
on the hip until he stops. But don't rush him. Let him take his time.
But only time tapping stops is if he starts moving forward. Keep it
calm.

5. Horse may load two feet in and stand. ok. May back out. Tap
until he stops. Lots of petting, encouragement. You have all the time
you need, no rushing. Going in/ going out, only teaches him to unload
at the same time he is loading. He will finally go in.

Major points...cue to go forward. Stopping the cue as a reward.
Teaching the horse to respect your space and not run you over. You
stay out of the trailer (rope goes over his back). Horse doesn't feel
trapped, can back out if panicks.

But, I encourage you to find the proper version of this lesson and
review it. It really really works. I don't have any problems loading
now.

John says horse will do good, next time not so good, next time
wonderful (you are tempted to stop), next time really bad, next time
good again. It is true.

Also, Zip is no longer blind but has regained part of his eyesight.

Good luck and you are always welcomed to call me...415-461-2680 in Ca.

Kimberly (&Mystery the Morab)
Petaluma, CA