Sources of information

"The information is NOT easily and readily available even if folks want
to learn."

There is lots of information out there and it is not all that difficult to
come by.  AERC has a wonderful manual on line.   PNER has a mentorship
program where experienced riders have made themselves available before and
at rides to help new riders.  Don't know if any other regions have a
program like this but I sure think it's a great thing.  And, of course,
there is a growing amount of literature in books, magazines and on the
internet.  I would hope that anyone getting into this sport would be able
to spend some time reading and researching before starting their first ride.
In addition, there is certainly alot of word of mouth information
available.  I've found fellow riders to be very free with information and
suggestions.