Re: RC: Hocks

In a message dated 5/8/00 11:19:55 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
thomlabs@netbistro.com writes:

<< Any comments on hock injuries would be appreciated.

Hi Julia,
    It has been my experience that the biomechanism (in this case, hock) is
typically the cause of  what could manifest as supportive mechanism lameness,
i.e., loin, sacro-lumbar, stifle, etc.
    I have seen many a chiropracticioner "adjust" horses' backs, necks,
knees, etc, and then have (through diagnostics at a major university equine
medicine school) determined the real "problem" was in the hock...after
"treating" the apparent pathology elsewhere.  (Not to intimate that chiro can
not be effective, it is and probably needs to be incorporated in whatever
ultimate treatment you employ to fix the peripheral symptoms.)
    Hocks are integral in the locomotive initiate and I believe your vet may
just have hit the proverbial nail on the head.
    As far as protocol, I'm certain he will recommend a prudent and,
hopefully, effective treatment, i.e., H/A, etc.
    Good Luck,
       Frank.