RC: bone size vs bone density

I'm relatively new to endurance (starting second season) and I began with
a Tennesse Walker- 15-1, a good size for my heavyweight, which ranges
from 215 to 230 depending on tack and how wet it is.  However, the TW had
a heart murmur, and while an evaluation showed that it would not hurt him
to do endurance, 50 miles was long for him and he finished near the end
(he does well at LD now).  I was very fortunate to find an experienced
Arabian with a wonderful temperament, 15 yrs, but he was small- barely
over 14-1, and maybe 850 lbs soaking wet.  I didn't believe he could be
competitive carrying me, but after a little adjustment on my part (an
Arabian is a lot different to ride than a Tennessee Walker!) we were
finishing in the top-ten in mountain rides!  We completed our first
two-day 100 in South Carolina this month (no mountains!), and he had good
vet scores at the end- at the age of 16.  So I am now a believer that
Arabians are THE horse to have for endurance, and that size is not the
most important thing.  The qualities mentioned below, as well as the
spirit and structure of the individual, make all the difference.  BTW,
while I think my little guy can do a slow 100 with me, I recognize that I
should have a larger horse to be competitive at this distance.  I just
purchased a stallion coming two who is 14-2 now, and I hope he will be my
future 100-mile horse.  Any advice on raising and training a stallion
will be welcome!

John Proudman
Maryland