Re: RC: West Nile Virus

I live in NY on Long Island very close to where 12 horses died from West
Nile.  Iwent to a seminar given by the Baker Institute with representatives
from Cornell, the baker Institute, Plum Island, the vet that treated the sick
horses and the USDA.  Horses are considered a dead end host - West Nile
cannot be passed from horse to horse according to all those experts that were
there.  That is why there is no restictions on horses traveling from state to
state.
We were given alot of info that if anyone is interested, I can summarize the
written info I got or give you the names and where to reach the experts that
were there.  We were told that  as of yet there was not a vaccine , but
possibly if the need surfaced again, we might have one this year.  My vet
simply told me to stay away from the 5 square mile area in which all 35
horses that got sick were in (including the 12 that died).
Not because my horse could catch it from another horse, but because he could
catch it from an infected mosquito.
Joanne