Re: Rider/horse training..was--I made a decision

Thanks for a really good reply....I didn't mean that you were actively
discouraging people from riding endurance...I guess I often read posts from
the viewpoint of a total newbie and how they might interpret our posts.  I
was thinking in terms of if they thought they had to have lessons and be a
good rider before they could ride endurance, they might never try.
So....have any good videos you can recommend?  We had this discussion
during the winter but I didn't have anyplace I could really ride and
practice (at least not bundled into ten layers of clothes...my first
priority in the winter is just to be able to say I got on, we went down the
road and made it back without freezing to death!)...  :)

Maggie Mieske
Mieske's Silver Lining
10601 S. Richards Rd.
McBain, Michigan 49657
http://www.netonecom.net/~mmieske
mmieske@netonecom.net

----------
> From: Sue Brown <sbrown@wamedes.com>
> To: Maggie Mieske <mmieske@netonecom.net>; ridecamp@endurance.net;
superpat@gateway.net
> Subject: Re: Rider/horse training..was--I made a decision
> Date: Wednesday, March 29, 2000 2:12 AM
>
> At 08:04 PM 3/28/2000 -0500, Maggie Mieske wrote:
> ><Having come from the dressage area to the endurance area, the lack of
> >riding skills amongst many of the endurance riders was extremely
evident>

> >I am sure that Sue is well meaning here with so many of her comments and
> >they are probably true about many endurance riders....but that is why I
> >ride endurance.  I am not interested in being critiqued every time I get
in
> >the saddle.  I learn what I can and glean a lot from other riders,
dressage
> >instructors, trainers, etc. but (and if this is an excuse, so be it)
when I
> >have time for lessons, there isn't the money and when the money flow is
> >good, there's no time.
>
> I'd estimate that about 3/4 if my education has come from videos and
> books...not from lessons.  Yes, I *did* take lessons for several years
and
> worked with a trainer, but then consider that the education I have is a
bit
> more detailed than the average rider wants to know...the average rider
can get
> a ton of information from a few choice sources.
>
> >Perhaps some of us don't have any business being
> >out on the endurance trail but I think our riding "styles" as well as
our
> >freedom for preferences of tack, breeds, etc. are what make endurance
> >appealing to the majority of riders.
>
> We're not talking about some esoteric concept...we're simply talking
about the
> fact that how you position and use your body directly affects how the
horse
> responds and utilizes *his* body.  It's just plain (as my mentor and
trainer
> used to call his teachings) GOOD RIDING!  You can do this in any variety
of
> saddles (providing they don't throw you out of balance), in any kind of
> clothing, and with whatever tack or breed you want...and nobody expects
> anything remotely close to perfection!! ;-)  It's simply biomechanics and
how
> the horse learns and responds to cues.  Dressage is merely the
step-by-step
> process of training the horse (pretty basic concept)...and, for the
human,
> learning how to use your body to facilitate good use and development of
the
> horse's body.  And, I am by no means, out there critiquing every rider I
see,
> nor do I expect any of us (myself included) to ever remotely look like a
GP
> dressage rider.
>
> >There aren't any requirements in thos
> >regards.  Please don't discourage me or anyone else from riding
endurance
> >because we don't "fit in" to what your concept of a "good" rider may be.
>
> I'm at a loss as to how you could have construed, from what I wrote, that
> would discourage anyone from riding endurance!  What I *want* to do is to
> encourage riders to learn more about how their body affects the horse's
> body...and what is considered good balance and technique.  I got a
chance,
> earlier today, to reread Donna Snyder-Smith's article on travelling
downhill
> correctly at the trot...I think (to lazy to look it up right now ;-)) it
> was in
> the December, '98 EN.  I had read this before, but I was reading it again
> make sure I understood everything that was related.  Even tho I teach,
I'm