Re: Rider/horse training..was--I made a decision

<Having come from the dressage area to the endurance area, the lack of
riding skills amongst many of the endurance riders was extremely evident>

I am sure that Sue is well meaning here with so many of her comments and
they are probably true about many endurance riders....but that is why I
ride endurance.  I am not interested in being critiqued every time I get in
the saddle.  I learn what I can and glean a lot from other riders, dressage
instructors, trainers, etc. but (and if this is an excuse, so be it) when I
have time for lessons, there isn't the money and when the money flow is
good, there's no time.  I would have to trailer at least an hour one way
and with gas expenses and paying for the lessons, it would run me around
$75 for a 45 minute lesson....so, I HAVE checked into it and I DO have the
desire...but the $75 would more than pay for a 50 mile entry fee and I
could get a lot of conditioning/ training time in during the 4 + hours or
so it would take me to load, trailer, have a lesson, load and trailer home
(forget visiting time!).  Perhaps some of us don't have any business being
out on the endurance trail but I think our riding "styles" as well as our
freedom for preferences of tack, breeds, etc. are what make endurance
appealing to the majority of riders.  There aren't any requirements in thos
regards.  Please don't discourage me or anyone else from riding endurance
because we don't "fit in" to what your concept of a "good" rider may be.
I'm not as thin skinned as I used to be or some of the things you said
might very well have offended me (ok, maybe they did a teensy weensy
bit)...I do think you mean well.  I don't know if I am a good rider or not
to be honest with you... I am sure we could ALL improve in one way or
another.  I will never compete or show in any level of dressage, english or
western equitation...but I do strive to have a balanced seat (hey, I have
learned to post with my thighs!) and teach my horse to collect himself.  I
think I have good communication with my horse(s) (at other times it is
totally absent....ever have one of THOSE days?) and I rarely come off
anymore (unless my horse is practicing his sidepasses in an attempt to
avoid killer chipmunks).  Give us poor slobs a break... to each his own.
:)  The joy IS in the journey...some of us just look better doing it than
others!  :)

Maggie Mieske
Mieske's Silver Lining
10601 S. Richards Rd.