Re: RC: Fwd: RC: I made a decision w. all your help - THANK YOU

In a message dated 3/27/00 9:07:25 AM Pacific Standard Time,
Dbeverly4@aol.com writes:

<< A friend of mine routinely hauls young horses to and from the race track.
 She has been knocked unconscious in her slant load trailer by young rowdy
 horses, had her finger trapped in the tie-rope when the horse sat down
inside
 the trailer  >>

What is unique about a slant load for those sorts of accidents?  I have been
slammed head-first into the hardware on the feed door of a straight load
two-horse (requiring several stitches to my scalp), have had my nose broken
by an unruly foal in same, and there is no appreciable difference in how one
ties a lead rope in the feed manger of a walk-in vs. in a slant load.  Quite
frankly, I've had to walk into many a straight load, and trying to sqeeze out
that dinky "escape" door with a 2' step to get out (if there even is
one--have had to shinny up into the manger and out the feed door as well, or
duck under the half partition and go out the other side) is FAR more
dangerous than either the large escape door in many stock trailers or being
able to beat feet out the main door in the back.  Putting any horse in any
sort of confined "box" is inherently dangerous, especially if the horse is
not schooled to accept such a request politely.

Heidi