Re: RC: Lyme Aftemath?

Hi Cindy,
I was interested to see your message since I was just about to repost
to ridecamp to give an update of my ongoing saga with Lyme disease.
Briefly, Klassy had was dx with Lyme last March, and received 3
courses of oral antibiotics.  Her titer dropped from 440 or so to 110
by last September.  We had done lots of longing and line driving her
last summer, and slowly returned to riding by September. She has been
ridden very consistently 3-4 days per week since that time, maybe
working 3 hours weekly on average, rain or shine.   I've noticed that
she is getting quite winded lately.  This is not something that
happened pre Lyme.  I just had her titer redrawn and it is back up to
300, indicating that the infection is still active, or that she is
reinfected.  AAHHHHH!!! I can't say that the Lyme is causing her
fatigue, but I have to suspect that it is contributing to her
limitation.  Either she has deconditioned significantly or it is the
Lyme; since her work has been so consistent [50:50 walk:trot during
our rides for the last 6 months], I think the Lyme is slowing her
AGAIN.  For those with horses dx with Lyme, it seems to be very
important to keep retesting them even after the titer has fallen.  We
will put her back on another course of antibiotics this week and hope
for the best.
Good luck Cindy, and let me now how things progress,
Beth
> My concern is that he is STILL huffing and puffing during those brief trots
> or when climbing steep hills.  Can't remember him ever being this
> short-winded (no other signs of respiratory problems).  I've had this horse
> for over three years, and he just seems not quite right to me.  But then,
> he'd never had such a long layoff before.

Beth Glace, MS, CDN
Nicholas Institute of Sports Medicine and Athletic Trauma
Lenox Hill Hospital
New York, NY