Re: RC: When human ligaments tear...

Kristi,

I torn the same ligament skiing in 1988. Reconstructive surgery was not performed
because the surgeon said I was "too old" for the procedure. Instead, arthroscopic
(sp?) was performed to clean up the ligament ends so that I could fully bend my
knee.

My surgeon told me that if I did not compensate with muscle strength and tone for
the missing ligament, that dislocation of the kneecap was a real possibility.

I was religious about the physical therapy after the surgery, and regained 98% of
pre-injury strength.

OK, now for the good news:  I have not experienced any problems due to this
injury. However, I stay quite active. Riding has not caused any problems.
Activities that are not recommended:  downhill skiing (X-country OK with a knee
brace), any sideways movement:  tennis, basketball, football, etc (no problem,
didn't participate in these anyway).  My surgeon advised activities that were
straight forward. In other words, riding, jogging, walking, swimming, bike
riding, etc., where the joint movement is bending without twisting or lateral
movement.

As a precaution, I did have an exterior mechanical metal bracket made for
X-country skiing and backpacking. I've enjoyed both activities since the injury
and had no problems with either.

Bad news:  my surgeon told me the injury guaranteed arthritis in "old age."

As for your length of recovery,  depends on your age, rehab progress and
dedication. I can't remember the time frame for my PT (think it was 6 wks or so,
as I had lost over 50% of muscle in that leg), but believe I started back riding
as soon as the PT was over.
Very important to balance the strength of your quads and hamstrings. It is also
very important to stick to the exercises devised by your PT. This needs to become
a daily, lifelong habit. The one time I slacked off a few weeks (right after I
had finished the formal PT work), I got up from bed and my knee collapsed. Good
thing I plopped back onto the bed. This did convince me that the daily exercises
were important. Riding is great for the quads; just remember to balance out your
hamstrings.

If memory serves me well, I waited 6 weeks after the injury to see a doctor. My
surgery was performed about 2 weeks later. No problems caused by the delay.

If you are having reconstructive surgery, I saw an interesting program where
Gore-Tex was used as the replacement ligament. Another option was a donated human
ligament.

Find a surgeon who specializes in sport's injuries; perhaps someone who repairs
football players!

Good Luck!

Laura,
N. Fla.