NEW MEXICO RENEGADE RIDE

The 1st NMRR of 2000 was an amazing experience.  To start off, we had the
largest daily entry ever...and the largest continual daily entries of all
12 previous NMRR's.

DAY I saw 63 starters in the 55 and 5 starters in the 35 mile LD.  What a
day...they crossed thru the volcanic crater known as Hunt's Hole and then
circled 12 miles around the huge volcanic crater called Kilbourne's
Hole..coming into the Philip's Hole Well Vet Check at 28 miles...actually
most were blown into the VC by 50+ mile per hour winds...Day I had only 2
pulls, both caused by rear end tightness..and both riders led their
horses into Base Camp on the final 5 mile trail when the other 55 milers
went out on the 2nd loop of 20 miles.  All LD riders finished...winner of
Day I was Suzy Kelley on the 55 and Florence Buckner in the 35 miler.  BC
winners were Jill Hughes from CO on Susan Horne's Tu Desireous(55) and
Florence Buckner from TX on Faadra (35)

DAY II saw 51 start the 55 miles and 9 start the 35 miles...with snow
coming down.  Most of Day II was cross country in a northerly direction
thru the East Potrillo Mountain Range and then over the Mt Riley
Pass...from Mt Riley the 55 milers took the rocky Barbara's Tank trail
and the 35 milers went 7 miles into the North Well Vet Check.  This was a
long slow day with only one pull..Suzy Kelly's horse came in 1st at the
VC but had that ever sneaky "rear end" affliction and was the only pull.
Jill Hughes (CO) won Day II (55) and Travis Nanaeto (NM) on Roger
Downey's mule won the 35.  Boyd Carson on Earl Baxter's horse Devon won
the 55 BC and Rick Pew (AZ) won the 35 BC on Sparkler MA..a really nice
stallion that ate and drank with the other horses just like a calm
gelding.

DAY III had 58 55 milers and 4 LD riders start out on a very overcast day
with the threat of rain, or worse.  The riders went cross country in a
southerly direction thru the East Potrillo's and then over the Potrillo
Saddle and down to the Mt Riley Ranch Vet Check...this day would make up
for the lack of pulls on the 1st two days, as we had 8 horses
pulled..most due to front and rear lameness and one whose pulse did not
drop to 64 within 30 minutes of arriving, and Debbie Mitchell (AZ) had a
horse mishap as she was mounting to head home..she went off her fractious
horse and then was stepped on..she was rushed to the hospital and
fortunately, suffered only major bruises and hurt feelings.  Many of the
55 milers ran into sleet or hail on the 2nd loop and all were glad to see
the Tee Pee Ranch Base Camp.  Sandy Skinner on JR (NM) won the ride and
BC in the 55 and Rick Pew won BC in the LD.

DAY IV - 48 started the 55 and 7 in the LD on a bright and beautiful day.
 Day IV was a relatively flat ride, cross county thru the desert with the
old standby, Herrington Well, being the Vet Check.  3 55 milers were
pulled at Herrington. This was an uneventful day which was a blessing
based on the weather we had suffered thru the first three days.  Garrett
Ford (AZ) raced Bob Steller (CO) to the finish and won going away in the
55.  BC Winner in the 55 was Sands Dickson (CO) on Alexxi and Florence
Buckner on Faadra won the LD BC.

DAY V had 45 start the 55 and 4 on the LD.  On Thursday night we still
had 21 rider/horse teams going for all 5 days, but only 19 started on Day
V.  Using a different trail, the first loop ended up at the Mt Riley
Ranch Vet Check and two of the 19 same horse & rider teams were pulled,
along with two other horses.  The 2nd loop of Day V saw the 55 milers
head to the border and ride some very interesting trails thru old lake
beds.  41 55 milers finished and all 4 LD riders finished in good shape.
Sandy Skinner on JR won the day and the daily BC while Rick Pew on that
good stallion won the LD BC.

Overall 275 Mile Winner for all five days was Bill Wilson (INDIANA),
Overall  BC for All Five Days (275) was Earle Baxter and Catch Me If You
Can (CANADA), First Place Junior was Alexandra Todd (El Paso) on Fleur De
Fage {Alex is part of the Monsivais Family Cavalry}.  The LD Overall
First Place was won by Florence Buckner on Faadra (TX) and the Overall BC
was won by Rick Pew and Sparkler MA (AZ).  Richard Frazier riding his
first ever endurance rides went 4 1/2 days..pulling his horse for rider
option on the last day . he felt she was just a little off going out of
the vet check and came back..turns out his easy boots were not cut low
enough and bruised the mare's heal bulbs.  We gave them a special award
for special effort and concern for his horse.

The NMRR was a wonderful success this year due to the help of Roger
Taylor, Missy Taylor, Jim and Marylou Barnett, Bill Wilson, Dave Clinton,
as well as the Eiland Family who put up with all my nonsense.  Barney
Fleming  and Sid Zarges were our vets, with Barney being Head Vet..poor
Sid spent many a lonely hour at the Vet Checks waiting for Trilby, except
for the last day when she sped up to make it in for the Awards Banquet.

Riders came from NM, AZ, CA, Montana, Iowa, Indiana, Illinois, TX, Minn,
Utah, CO, Canada, Washington, and Tenn.  The comradery and sharing of all
responsibilities that you see at a multi day ride are what makes the
effort worth while.  Crews worked for all the riders, not just their
riders, hay, grain, food and drinks were shared...we hauled water out to
some spots and never lacked for help, timers, pulse takers, etc, did a
great job and the evening meals were filling and plentiful, even for
those who ride with Trilby and finished hours after the others.

The SW Region was well represented at the NMRR and 8 of the 17 riders who
finished all five days on the horses they started with were from the
SW..with Kevin Waters, Daniel Monsivais, Sandy Skinner, being repeat SW
winners, and I suppose we have to consider Earle Baxter an auxiliary SW
Region rider since he seems to live down here from Jan thru March.  In
order of Overall Finish:  Bill Wilson (Ind) 28:27, Earle Baxter (Canada)
28:30, Boyd Carson (NM) 28:34, Sands Dickson (CO) 28:43, Sandy Skinner
(NM) 29:31, Phyllis and Otis Bartholomew (AZ) 34:11, Kevin Waters (AZ)
37:39, Crockett Dumas (UT) 37:41, Connie Meredith (TX) 38:12, Bernice
Cruikshank (TX) 38:12, Pat Verheul (CA) 41:23, Alexandra Todd (TX-1st
Junior) 41:23, Daniel Monsivais (TX-2nd JR) 41:23, Les Carr (CA) 45:31,
Jeff Johnson (AZ) 45:31, Trilby Pederson (CA) 5 years - actually 53:31
{it only seemed like a year for each day}

For the first time in a long while, the Monsivais Family had some pulls
so it looks like the Johnson Family (Brent, Cheryl, Jeff & Julianne) from
AZ are strong
contenders for this years Family award..continuing  the long tradition of
the SW Region Family Members.

In ending, I want to thank all the riders for doing an excellent job..no
metabolic treatments all week... and all the people who helped bring this
event off,,and especially Roger Taylor who spent close to three weeks
working with me on this ride.

Randy Eiland