Tom, Kudos & Calcium

It is important to remember that humans produce a sweat that is
hypotonic to plasma:  humans produce a sweat that is more dilute
than blood.  [Horses produce a more concentrated sweat]  So, when
sweating we are losing more water than electrolytes.  The
prime concern for a human is getting fluid back, and only if the
exercise is severe and prolonged is an electrolyte imbalance an
issue. This is particularly true of sodium.   I've never seen a case
report or study that showed significant depletions of calcium due to
exercise.  Since calcium in the blood is strictly regulated by
parathyroid hormone, the circulating calcium can almost always be
maintained by "stealing" calcium from the bones.   That is, blood
calcium is not diet sensitive.  There are no studies that I've seen
that show muscle fatigue delayed by supplemental calcium.  I'd
suspect, as Susan says, that the reason for the Tums is to prevent
stomach upset.

Beth Glace MS
Sports Nutritionist
Lenox Hill Hospital
NY, NY
>I recently read a tip, in Endurance News I think, to bring Tums
while >on a ride and for the rider to take one at the stops "for the
>calcium".  I'm ignorant... what does the calcium supplement help?  It
>did not say, in the article.  I take 'em anyway occasionally just for
>standard heartburn, I was just wondering what other purpose they
>serve.
Susan wrote:
Muscle contraction uses up alot of calcium.  In horses when you
deplete too much calcium, you get thumps.  In people, you get tired
muscles and have to work harder to get the same work output.  So
calcium just helps with that. In my case, it also helps the tummy.