sluggish horse & saddle questions

OK, here are two questions:

1. How much of tying up has to do with stress? And could a poorly
fitting saddle contribute much (if at all) in tying up. I rode Classy
(our discussion horse) for about 1.5 hours on Sat. in my friend's
Wintec Aussie (thank you Julie and Rayna) he was a different horse,
very relaxed, carried his head low, walked on a totally slack rein, no
heavy sweating (which he is known for being soaking wet within 15 min.
into a ride.) Could his old western saddle have been one of a few
contributing factors?

2. My other horse (Donte) used to be very pumped on the trail, not
wild, but liked to go. I rode alot in a bareback pad or my western
saddle (at that time) I knew the saddle didn't fit very well, so I
used it minimally until I paid off my Bob Marshall treeless. He hated
that saddle, would go 1/2 mile and stop and look over his shoulder at
me, or would canter wildly, like he was trying to get out from under
it. I got my money back, and bought an endurance saddle (no brand that
I could find, wide tree, about 22 lbs.) That seemed to fit him for
awhile (until he got more fit and lost the winter coat) then he became
sluggish and lazy on the trail (especially when we ride alone) So my
question is: (I am asking because I have been advised to sell him and
get a new horse-which I can't do since I really love this guy and he
is who started me in this sport, we ride for fun and completion, not
points/awards.) I am selling my endurance saddle and am considering a
Thorowgood endurance synthetic. Has anyone had a similar experience
re: saddle fit and sluggishness and replaced the saddle only to have a
horse that is more willing to go?

The first horse must be the type who goes into the pressure/pain,
where the second horse is the type who tries to avoid it. (Funny that
they are brothers!)

Any input helpful, thanks.

Heidi and (Classy-gosh this is comfy & Donte-Mom, do I have to go?)

==
                   /\_/\~