this horse slaughter stuff

I was hoping, perhaps, that Ridecamp was the last bastion where I didn't
have to get bombarded by this "Save All the Horsies" crap.  I hate to sound
blunt and crass, but I have literally had it with these people.  I have
always been active with horses and a bit with horse rescue for twenty years
(since I was 14), but since November, I have almost completely been turned
off (and at times turned against) these "horse rescuers".  I am sick of
hearing things such as (in regard to the New Holland, PA auction):  "The
Amish send their horses there, and some Amish work there, so we must
nowflagrantly and publicly bad mouth all the Amish and see how Lancaster
County likes THAT with their tourism business."  Talk about ignorant
ethnocentrism.  Or, one of my favorites was the recent situation with some
mares at a university in CA,
and a ton of people blanketed the faculty there with rude emails;  and then
a friend of mine forwarded a post from some other board that states that
"of course theyd ship the horses to slaughter.  a lot of donators to the
college are Japanese and the Japanese love horse meat." OR the people who
mass emailed that Canadian horse farm with the Arab babies without having
ANY clue or facts to what the real story was.  It wouldn't surprise me if
all those leftover babies went quietly and secretly to the slaughterhouses
next year, thanks to those "rescue" people and their ignorant harrassment
without FACTS.  That's the problem.  And when you DO present them with
facts, they IGNORE THEM. Lastly, of course, I got an email friend a friend
of mine on AOL regarding our beloved Dr. Heidi Smith.  (I guess, Heidi, you
had rescued a horse?), and someone commented on some board soemwhere that
since you were leaving it a stallion you better be what you said you were,
blankety-blank, or they were coming up to get you themselves ( or something
to that effect).

ARGH! I certainly didn't mean to rant so long, but i REALLY am getting sick
of it.  It's all nice and fine to have your beliefs, but STOP imposing them
on ME.  It's as bad as in-your-face Right-to-Lifers and religious groups
who go door to door and corner you.  Not everyone views horses as pets
(though I do), remember that.  And if you feel so compelled to rescue all
the horses from slaughter, please do so, and there ARE some wonderful
people out there who do rescue and act professionally and levelly-headed.
But, for those of you who believe each and every equine out there must be
rescued, I hope you have the means to
care from them all properly.

Mary Golden

Ridecamp is a service of Endurance Net (http://www.endurance.net)
Endurance Net does not endorse or  recommend any
organizations, companies or individuals referenced in the Ridecamp
list service.  Endurance Net expressly excludes liability for any
damage, loss or injury that  may be suffered as a result of
information or opinions expressed on Endurance Net, www.endurance.net,
or the Ridecamp forum.