Eating while travelling

Heidi,

I greatly appreciate this statement of yours.  I think everyone should
consider this at all times during the course of horse ownership.  I have
made my share of mistakes.  I like to think I have learned from them, but I
don't neccessarily make life altering decisions because of them.  Accidents
are a part of life.  Yes, we should work to avoid them, but if they do
occur we should simply learn from them.  I only say this because I feel
there tends to be a great many "this is the only way to do it" statements
made in the horse world.  I find that tragic.

Do what you feel is best for your horse.  I am not saying don't listen to
others, but think about it and how, and if it best applies to your
situation.

Jennifer Layman - Goose & Hooy
Menlo Park, CA

P.S.  Probably feeling strongly about this since I had an accident myself
on Saturday, where trail gave away on my horse, and he is now injured.  I
have second guessed myself for two days.  The reality is there was no way I
could have known this trail (fire road) was weakened from underneath (it
even had recent hoof prints that were merely a 1/2-1" deep), so now I take
care of my guy and we ride again when he is well.

Heidi wrote:

"No matter WHAT you do, SOMETHING bad can happen if a horse does something he
shouldn't, but you weigh your odds, minimize the hazard, and do what you have
to do."