To roach or not to roach, that is my question

Hi all--

When I bought little Buddy his mane was roached and I've kept it that way
except in the fall I 've let it grow out, thinking the more hair he had on
him the better for our winter weather.  As far as cooling and such goes,
would he be better off with a longer mane in the summer, assuming of course
that his mane would actually amount to anything?  Or is the difference
negligble?  Not an earth shaking matter, but I am a little curious.

Gay  and her little Buddy --who at this time of year resembles
WoodyWoodpecker.