Competitive Trail Ride Know-How

Well, at the spring breeders' show I got corralled into helping bigtime to
organise a 40 km trail ride in November.  Apparently, I'm the one who has
the most information...HO HO.  As I'm constantly picking the collective
Ridecamp brain, you can see how much anyone else here has. Sooooo.... anyone
who's willing to tell me hints about CTR, like how do you score these
things? How do you figure out how long a trail should take?  How far apart
are the vet checks?  So on.  I'd really appreciate it and you can always
email it privately.  If there are any people out there who have organised
one from scratch so to speak, I'd really like to hear from them.  We're
figuring that CTR will be a good intro to distance riding and we want to
avoid any injuries or disappointments by a whole country full of novices.
I'll be doing at least one seminar for riders et. al. on training and
procedures, so I guess I'd better find this stuff out.
Thanks.
Maryanne Stroud Gabbani
Cairo, Egypt
gabbani@starnet.com.eg