Re: Horse Slaughter

In a message dated 2/21/99 9:40:22 PM Pacific Standard Time, Tivers@aol.com
writes:

<< Horses generally hate
 dogs and will kill them if they can, but doglove horses and tend to want to
 chase them all day--until they get their first or second kick in the head. At
 that point, both species become a little smarter.  >>

Well, there ARE exceptions!  Our Border Collie, bless him, pursued the wrong
horse one day and got a mouthful of steel.  He came out of the paddock
spitting blood and broken teeth (six of them).  Since some sort of dental
reconstruction was estimated at $8000, the vet and I decided Casey could live
quite nicely without the teeth.  The incident did not, however, teach him
anything at all, except maybe to duck more quickly.  The same horse still
baits him, and he still chases.  But one can't really blame a dog for hundreds
of years of breeding for herding.  It's what he was designed to do, and we
don't have sheep.

Barbara McCrary