Compression injury update

Hi,
I talked to the vet about my gelding and he said that the injury
sustained to the tendon was similar to a bowed tendon. He suggest
keeping him quiet and running cold water down his leg. Right now the
temps are in the 30's and 40's, but at night it gets down into the
teens. I have him in a corral and I have put his hay, grain and water
about 50 feet apart, so that he walks a little bit. Has anyone dealt
with this kind of injury? What is done for a bowed tendon? I really do
think that his leg is better if he moves around a little bit compared to
being in a box stall where he can get to his hay and water without even
putting weight on the leg. It stiffens up more that way. Which situation
would be better, the corral or the box stall? Can a person take cold
packs and vet wrap and put that on the leg instead of using water and
getting the leg wet in the cold weather? Please help me out.

Lynette