Compression injury-help

Hi everyone,
Two weeks ago, I had a gelding who was bite in the back hock by a stud.
It caused an compression injury that has since sloughed off the skin and
drained. It was sore but he was limping and doing some walking on it.
Now he is walking less on it and is walking only on the tip of the hoof,
putting most of his weight on his good leg. The wound looks good, is
healing over, but his ability to use the leg is decreasing. I had him
on  penicillin for 7 days and I took him to the vet, who said that the
wound just has to run the course. He thought that since he could walk on
it that no major tendons had been damage. He didn't really check it out.
You have got to understand that the vets around here are livestock vets
and we have no chiropractors, horse dentists or anything like that. I
have been turning him out in a large corral everyday and putting him in
a box stall at night. In the corral, he just stands by the hay and eats
and does not move around much. I was thinking that the problem might be
lack of using the leg and maybe I should turn him back out with the
herd. We have 10 horses that he was with before the bite. I know that
they would encourage him to move around more. Do you guys think that is
what he needs? I have never had to deal with a injury like this and I am
totally lost. Vets around here are not much help. Anyone have any ideas
why his leg is stiffening up? And what I can do to help.

Thanks
Lynette
PS I really appreciate the advice that I get from this list. Horse care
is primitive around here, compared to other parts of the country. I have
learned a lot from this list and I don't know what I would do without
you guys. Thanks.