Re: Crews (was: Carbo Charge on the Fly)

Leonard.LIESENS@cec.eu.int wrote:

<< > Concerning the carbo stuff... you american guys, you make me laugh!

 > In Europe, you can see you crew every 5 kilometers (this was the case in
the european championship in Portugal. So the policy for them is to have
always one syringe of electrolytes ready, one of Carbo, one bottle of water
(Evian or Vittel is nice :) :)  and one bucket of water with grenadine syrup
in it (Orfeo likes it and so does he not feel the difference in smell of
water... especially interesting in UAE with their 'artificial' water).
Furthermore they have to take pictures and movies at the same time :) :)
otherwise they get fired!

 > Voila... c'est comme cela que l'on fait en France et en Belgique!!! >>

Leonard, how on earth do you find a crew who's willing to commit to that? Do
you pay them???
Seriously, I'm already having a heck of a time to get any of my friends to
sacrifice their precious weekend to just meet me at the vet checks with a
blanket, a bucket and a sponge. And once I have convinced one that sitting
around all day waiting for me might not be that bad after all, it's not
unusual to get a last minute cancellation... must be these flaky Californians
<g>. But I know that I'm not alone! At the "Go For Gold" ride 3 weeks ago
someone asked at the pre-ride meeting which crews would be going up to VC 1+2
(in order to bring stuff along for others). The only person who raised her
hand was Shelli Lohman's mom! (Btw, Shelli went on to win the 50 miler.)
And at the last VC I had to almost give up half of my sandwich so that Scott,
the head vet, would take Slim's blanket to basecamp so I would have it at the
finish line. ;-)

At most of our rides here in the Pacific Southwest that have the VCs out on
the trail (versus back in camp) ride mangement will designate one truck or
trailer that everyone can send their stuff with to at least the half-way
check. And we usually have great volunteers who will jump in where needed at
the checks! But besides that, a lot of us are on their own. I've spend many
stops without ever sitting down, even 1 hour holds!

Guess being married and having kids would maybe help with finding a permanent
crew, but I'm not so sure if that's really a realiable solution to the
problem. Looking around I'm having my doubts.... So for right now I have to
rely on my cantle and pommel bag, a rump rug and a ride for my crew-bag in
someones rig.

Kirsten
....crew-less, but not clue-less!