Osceola Ride Jan 15 /footing

Jean Wonser cpfjean@bellsouth.net
When dry the Osceola National Forest (Lake City FL, camp) is
probably the easiest of the present FL trails.  It is equally
level and has no deep sand being all grassed in.  Goethe on
other hand had at least 15 miles of loose, chopped up sand.

Now when wet, and November 97 is the all time record rainfall
making the Jan 98 ride very wet (and Manager declined to
reroute any of the two very long wet pieces)) the story changes
considerably.  When wet it becomes a definate challenge
with the need to know how to read water and how to get
through it.  Some of it is very shallow and can be moved
right through, on a edge usually;  Other places are like a creek
and must be waded.  There are two spots can be real deep and
riders must pay attention if there is flagging to follow for
the shallower part.

But each of the 55 miles of trail loops has road portions. If
we suddenly get six inches of rain we plan to reroute the areas
that could require a mile of walking to pass.  However,
hurricane season has passed and I do not anticipate much
significant rainfall in 2 l/2 weeks.

So come on out and enjoy the scenery.  I saw a mother bear and
twin cubs in late June  on the yellow loop;  Maybe you will
see them a little more grown.

See you on the trail,
Jean Wonser
ride sec'y, Trenton FL.