Re: RC: Consumers reports FDA approval on Laser Glucometer

In a message dated 12/28/99 7:19:52 AM Pacific Standard Time,
truman.prevatt@netsrq.com writes:

<<  I remember correctly "any invasive procedure" which sinking a pricking the
 skin, either with a needle or laser, would have to be considere invasive
since
 it does break the skin, would be in violation of the AERC drug policy.

 I would assume studies related to endurance horses which were apporved by RM
 (and maybe even requrie AERC vet committee approval) would be exempt from
this
 rule.  The recent protest at the BSF showed that even he use of a hand held
 electric massage unit was in violation of the drug policy.  Could not the use
 of these Glucometer also be in violation - that is if someone protest your
use
 then you would be held in violation and sanctioned?

 Truma >>

Very probably. One of my riders went onto a racetrack with a heartrate
monitor and was fined for using an "electrical device".  It helps when
officialdom has a collective IQ above a shoe size, but that can be a rarity
in the horse kingdom. Just figure "violations" and "sanctions" for about
anything that looks, tastes or feels different. That's the way it is; that's
the way it always will be.

Soon enough, anything you do that is beneficial for your horse will be
considered "practicing veterinary medicine without a license".

One of the sad repercussions of my talk before the AAEP in 1982--a talk about
how the sciences of exercise and other sportsmedicine disciplines should be
brought to the racetrack in order to help prevent injury, bleeding from the
lungs, etc, as opposed to the kneejerk resort to the needle that was then,
and is now, the mainstay of backstretch medicine.-- everybody stood up and
gave the poor clown an ovation--was that a new, but mercifully short-lived
movement was begun: "Veterinary supervised training".

Since then, I have watched several trades and disciplines be swept into the
"vet-med" umbrella, out of the hands of people who knew what they were doing.
Woe to me if racetrack vets ever come to understand that exercise has
something signicant to do with racing performance.

ti