Why Bother? Carbs or new ideas

Well - I expected this -
First Sarah- I called you over 4 yrs ago when I had this idea about
doing some testing with this new idea from ti- you told me to keep out
of things I knew nothing about and that this was a bad idea and very
dangerous- also that I would not be able to prove anything since I was
not knowledgeable. etc.
 Well I did call you to ask advise- because I have known you for years..

Now 4 years later, You have not even suggested that this idea is
acceptable or merits a fair evaluation. have you tried it ? at a
ride..?why keep putting it down..

It is good to offer counter points but many of you take the same
position as tom - only one way. you nor i nor ti are always right nor
have the final word.
I tried this concept to see if ti was even close to on track- i believe
he his, as many others will concur- and his new position offers more
opportunities to do real live race research. I bet if he is wrong he
will let us know.
I DO truly like to read the theory - chemistry  etc about all this -
from you -Sarah and Heidi as well as the academics, a sort of checks and
balance - I hope for anyway.

I don't need to do this to get my horses around - I do know how to get
them in shape- I have done many miles on the same horses,  I try to look
at other approaches to make life better for
the horse. I did not use electrolytes or be concerned with Se/E
supplementation back in the 70/80, but at the expense of my horse. So I
learned and applied.
You  cant tell me that all these horses don't have some form
of a problem after a race that may be better managed with something new.

 What re-started this issue was all the horses bonking at 3day 100
ctr-and the issue is why? I suggest their fuel supply system failed and
this protocol MAY be the (an) (one) answer.

I always  looking for ideas that will help reduce the stress/damage
factors before and after an event.
that's why I like to test new stuff - and test I do
like
assortment of shoes and pads
saddles and tack
feeds  hi fat hi fiber -etc.,
supplements,
diets,
products to help with djd
chiropractic
acupuncture
herbs
homeopathy- told by a vet to leave this alone,

All things to help the horse do his job - better and longer. If it works
I buy into it. Be it a new saddle or feed or supplement or equipment or
tests.

I don't have all the answers- but I sure can talk your ear off on most
of these subjects, don't ask if you don't want a comment or response.

Like I  feed fat- may not be so good at the high levels-,
give adequan shots- that may be illegal soon.
try to balance the feed for digestion - use supplements from companies
like ABC-  ( pro-bi, ABC Plus) allot on this issue and company--,
feed beep pulp -something unheard of 10 years ago almost main stream
now,
find electrolytes that are balanced and work,

If we did not try new ideas - then how do I - as a get around rider-
find a way to improve my horses life. Then, and when something did not
help my horses do better, would it do any good for the high speed
runners-  They are  the ones that most likely will have problems that
will shorten their career.
It seems reasonable -that if IF I find out how to take better care of
mine, then others may benefit.
Take for example the EQ SNEAKERS- I tested then for YEARS before a few
of the world riders tried them- now they are the spokesman..Val just did
not believe me- at first- but after many trips to Ft Valley/OD, she
agreed to try a pair on Cash. A most un-common shoe and most shoers
would not recommend it. But it worked.

If anyone wants to take a closed mind approach to new ideas just because
it does not fit the norm- don't know what to say but - sorry

I look at any new idea and try it out- if it doesn't work - look for
something else.
Why do I have to be content with 'status quo' ? just because I don't run
with the big dogs? or because it does not go with the program?

Yes many of the big dogs do try new ideas, for some it has helped, for
some they made mistakes - carbo- like in giving too much
but  that does not mean we should stop, it would be an eye opener to
what some of these top riders are really doing. Lots of Pro-Bi  used
there and I sure have seen a few tubes of PRO-BURST.  And there are many
who dont feed much special stuff either.

About 11 years ago I tried to use a tool to help develop a conditioning
program for my horses. To find out if I was doing the right thing.  I
was almost banned from a ctr ride at one time. Many old time riders said
it would remove the horsemanship from the sport, riders would not learn
intuitive knowledge of the horse,  vets said it would turn into a
massive race off with horses dying- since all the riders would run off
the tool and not pay attention to their horse. The second unit sold went
to Val...
After all the flack and from many - and it still goes on today - on this
list..and else-where,
the HRM is - inspite of all the opposition- the most highly used device
and method to aide the rider in the development of a conditioning
program for his horse. It turned out - it slowed down the crazy riders
and helped the timid to open up and try new horizons, nope did not cause
all the problems many thought, it helped to develop a better intuitive
knowledge of their horse both with the conditioning program and at the
race.
If I had listened to all the great experts back then - and not held fast
to a good concept, -- well someone else would have I suppose.. but I
believe I provided a concept and a device- from ti- that did work  and
help improve the overall well being of the endurance horse. And yes of
course, it  built a business.. just as a dvm that goes on to be a
teacher.

I see nothing wrong with technology helping me to take better care of my
horse, be it equipment or feed or supplements or saddles or shoes
etc..Why accept what someone else says is the only way - as the only
way.

I ride the hot summer rides with a temp gauge under the saddle- think I
just may find out if and when my horse is getting over heated before a
rider without one will even have any idea the horse has been cooked.
Wonder if a rider used this simple cheap device at the ny or vt 100 ctr
they may have had early warnings about impending problems?
When asked why? - I respond why not? and what harm is there to find out
more real time  information about what is really happening with my
horse.
You bet I like it - and will keep on - taking those blood glucose levels
at rides - it may just tell me that  I  or the vet missed something and
if a ride I attend offers the blood study tests you bet I will get it
done.
If all my technology saves my horse from an over-sight error then it is
all worth it.

Nope - no one has to try new ideas.. and many don't and do just fine, I
just like to try things. I just offer what I have tried in new ideas -
if you don't agree don't do it,  but you cant tell me I am wrong if you
have not tried it also, especially when I have demonstrated success.

Look at all the stuff about electrolytes and the many who said it will
kill horses.. not so- I was in the middle of that battle with the local
NATRC- now its common practice. AND they ask questions- now -learning
how to take better care.

I quit this list way back for the same reason - except the back lash was
from the vets - sarah and heidi-and others- both public and private,
I jumped back in since both of you still are doing the same thing...
judgment without trying-  because it does not fit your mold or personal
or professional concepts or you don't like what us un-educated riders
have to say.

Too bad I guess, I will still offer ideas and concepts of what worked
for me. As well as try new ideas and concepts as they are presented by
both phds and just plain ole riders.

Why bother ?- may just help someone else to see or learn a little more
about their  horse in a sport that is ever changing and where no one has
all the answers.

next issue?
Roger R