Re: RC: Carbos or Water

Beth,

I have found a wonderful alternative, an electrolyte supplement with no
sugars of any kind. Works great, can go all day and all night on a 100
and go party afterwards. Probably absorbed fairly fast since potassium
is absorbed rapidly (and expelled rapidly if not needed) - at least
according to my biochemist professor friend and that has been my
experience since the first I used it I probably took too much and had to
make a pit stop way too often.

I have no problems with sugar metabolism and there is no history of such
in my family. At my last physical (3 months ago) my blood chemistry was
boringly normal. I have no problem with gross amounts of water or solid
foods with gross amounts of water. What I have trouble with is when I
drink Gator Aid over a 8 to 18 hour period.

I have done a ride where I lived on cold baked beans - actually starting
at 80 miles which is the first I ate anything. No problems. I have done
rides where I lived on apples and candy bars, so no problems with fruit.
I've done rides where I lived on peanut butter and cheese. At the OD one
year I had to have a 1/4 pounder with cheese and sent my crew out for
one which was mighty good at 70 miles.  I've been sick several times on
rides and they all (except one) were associated with Gator Aid. Of
course it wasn't a scientific study, but I lost the Gator Aid and I was
fine.  The other time was a 50 where I felt fine - drinking plain water
then. I had a power bar which someone told me was the greatest thing
since English beer. Since I love English beer I though I'd try it. I ate
it at 30 miles and by 35 I was off barfing it out.

Gator Aid was developed originally for the Univ. of FL football team and
foot ball players sweat like the dickens especially in FL, but two hours
and they are in the showers.  I would expect the need of such a group is
vastly different than riders on the trail for 15 hours.

If it is electrolytes you are taking an electrolyte supplement for then
cutting it makes little sense.

I doubt that I am a three sigma or even a two sigma event.

Cheers
Truman

"guest@endurance.net" wrote:

> Beth Glace winorpin@aol.com
> Truman wrote:
> "On the other hand there are a lot of people who will get sick after the intake of Gator aid over extended periods of exercise. I being one.  ....It was reported to her that it is common and it is the "sugar" in Gator Aid , Power Aid, etc., that causes the problems. ...... extended period of exercise.  He suggested a different electrolyte -- one with no sugars --  product and it really helped her. ........ Disclaimer: Like any "one rat" experiment, the above post makes not claim of any statistical validity  -- since there isn't any statistical validity to lay claim to in one rat experiments -- nor does it make any claim to the effect on the population as a whole."
> Hi Truman,
> I love your disclaimer.  Of course when you do an experiment to look at absorption of sports drinks, you bring in a group of people and look to see what type of beverage is best absorbed.  What has been found is that -- typically -- a beverage of up to 8% carb with small amounts  of salt will be absorbed as quickly as water.  However, you are sure to find a few individuals that can tolerate significantly less and some that tolerate significantly more. You clearly fall in the intolerant group.  Some folks I know can tolerate only the smallest amounts of plain water or they cramp and belch are just miserable.  They are limited during very prolonged, moderately high intensity racing since they just can't stay hydrated.  Even though science says "we can tolerate such and such", we must all interpret this as guidelines.  Common sense and personal experience will must always temper the  "scientific" findings.  Some things you could try, though, to ease your discomfort with sports !
drinks:

--
Truman Prevatt
Mystic “The Horse from Hell” Storm